Monday, April 2, 2018

Sophie & Grace | Birth

I met Mike & Erica for the first time a few years ago when I photographed their Christmas pictures. Erica and I would run into each other here and there and I have always enjoyed our conversations. Any time I have ever spent around Mike and Erica always consisted of so much laughter.

They easily became one of my favorite couples.
Even though I don't see them often, it seems like we never miss a moment. 
They are such an awesome couple. I was ecstatic when I received a message from Erica telling me she was expecting twins!


twins.
goodness.
twins.
I remember tearing up when Erica first told me.
I can also guarantee there wasn't a dry eye... when we all first met the girls. ( more on that in just a bit)

Birth stories are always so fun. So far... out of all of the births I have been able to capture... there is always pretty good story of how I get there... which usually involves me running through a hospital... why would this one be any different. 

I'll start from the beginning. lets back track a few weeks ago. Erica was excellent at always keeping me updated. With twins, well any little one really.... nothing is ever definite... so I imagine with carrying twins you would double the chance of uncertainty. 
We finally decided that I would be there for the birth and a fresh 48.
great. game on. 

2 Fridays ago, March 28th, I get an update from Erica that they have moved her up for a sure cesarean that following Tuesday- with a possible chance that she could deliver that day....

after a few hours Erica said
" So it looks like it's going to be Tuesday... but again, I'll keep you posted."
we talked back and forth for a bit- which included me trying to talk her into a Netflix show I had been binge watching to help pass the time.. haha... but, eventually we concluded that there was a small chance it would happen over the weekend. 

dun. dun. dun.  [dramatic music] haha

I carry on with the weekend. 

 Palm Sunday.
My family plans had gotten really mixed up so we decided to head to Morgantown.
We spent the day shopping and then we decided to end the day with dinner at the Green Turtle.
I was happy to watch the Kansas and Duke basketball game.
I was totally rooting for Duke because my best friend is a fan.
well they lost. 
So we decided to head home. I was running on 1% battery.
I'm putting the babies in the car and this comes through my phone.

" Amanda hello this is mike Erica's husband.. we are going to have a C-section here in a few hours...we will keep you posted... I don't know yet exactly when the C-section will be but I will let you know as soon as I found out... also we are at Uniontown."


OF COURSE. I am in Morgantown.
OF COURSE.

Well something told me in my heart we better hurry. Aaron and I prayed the entire way home for the baby girls what would be arriving 3 weeks early. 

So we hurried... I was pulling in the drive way at 8:15
"They're taking us back at 8:30."

I honestly do not know how my phone stayed alive.

OH MY WORD.
I grab the camera and head to the hospital.
again. I'm running through Uniontown hospital. yep. running. again.

I get to the 3rd floor at 8:27
8:27
8:27!!
I see a super excited Mike standing there... and I had a personal victory going off in my brain only to find out I missed Erica by 7 seconds.
7 seconds. ugh. stop light. 

but don't you worry one bit. I have some great pictures of Mike dressed head to toe in scrubs.


He took me back to where I would hang out with his family.
They are amazing to say the least. 

We all got a chance to talk with Mike for a good bit...  and grab a few selfies with soon to be dad..

The entire time, I guess, all the nursing staff was looking for Mike- everywhere.

Well they found him and well Joyce said -

" RUN we are waiting on you" 





it's time.
it's time to meet your girls.


I'm speaking for Mike here. but I'm positive things got super real here at this moment when the door opened.


that is where I left them.
I headed back to where their families patiently waited.
for hours...
really it wasn't ... it just truly felt that way.


I can not imagine what it is like for a mother....waiting for her babies and grand babies... its probably so nerve racking and exciting at the same time. I do not doubt for one second that the motherly feeling ever goes away.. and its probably an awful feeling to want to help but you can't. 

While some of us spent the wait in prayer and anticipation.. little ones chose the very best way to past the time...... by dancing...
 

Emmie & Ellie helped all the adults so much and they didn't even know it. 







....................... 15 minutes later.....................







Praise the Lord!
They have arrived. In perfect condition. 
Grace Lynn Georgiana 6lbs 9oz
8:42pm
Sophie Lynn Georgiana 71bs 5oz
8:43pm
Everyone was so ecstatic !!

....................................................................................................................................


not long after we got another surprise









 
I give you little miss Grace Lynn.... 


and little miss Sophie Lynn



"Walk alongside me, Daddy
and hold my little hand.
I have so many things to learn that I don't yet understand.

Teach me things to keep me safe from dangers every day.
Show me how to do my best at home, at school, at play.

Every child needs a gentle hand to guide them as they grow.
So walk alongside me, Daddy.
We have a long way to go." - Helen Bush







it was time for the girls to head to the nursery....
there wasn't a dry eye in that hall way... I had to keep wiping my eyes to be able to see through my lens...

so.
much.
love.



so much.




I was so impressed with Mike during this entire process. He made sure to check on Erica, Sophie & Grace every few minutes.
we would be chatting and he would say
" I miss Sophie"... and off he would go
then a few minutes later...
" I miss Grace".... then he would go to her side
Then he would disappear to check in on his first love, Erica.



Soon, family flooded the windows.
I was just as amazed at these itty bitty girls.




If you know Mike, I hope you get to hear his version of how everything went. I know I wont get it word for word. So I really want him to tell you.
The way his tells it is entirely priceless.

but, for those of you who do not know Mike - I'll give you a little insight.
He thought he missed the birth of the girls.
Of course he didn't, but the way he explains it is hysterical none the less. 

I waited around a little while for Erica to recover... but it was a little bit of a journey ahead. I decided to head home.
I can only imagine what it was like when Erica held her tiny girls for the first time.
from one mother to another... I know it was perfect. 
I can also say... that Erica is one of the strongest girls I have ever met and I am beyond proud of her.


What a perfect way to spend Palm Sunday
 
I want to thank Mike and Erica for allowing me to be there.
It was such an amazing experience that I would relive over and over.

Mike and Erica shared with me some of the images they took during there hospital stay and they have allowed me to share they with you.
I know you'll enjoy them as much as I do.







moments before they became a family of 4








fresh after their bath




back to their room


....and so the adventure begins.
thank you again for sharing your lives with me.




fresh 48

at 2 and a half days old I stopped in for a few natural light images of the girls.

here is a little secret for you. 
I couldn't wait to visit and see the girls again...






they of course rocked their first session.

I introduce to you again. 
Sophie & Grace.












before you were born,
we dreamed of you,
we imagined you,
we prayed for you,
now that you both are here,
we hope for you,
we love you, and we
thank God for you - Maya







always better together... 





They are perfect aren't they.





No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS